Watauga County Fire Marshal/Emergency Management logo

Watauga County Fire Marshal/Emergency Management

Bethel — A cigarette was determined to be the cause of a fire in a home where one person was pronounced dead on Oct. 15 in Bethel.

Watauga Fire Marshal Taylor Marsh said that crews received a 3:15 p.m. call for a structure fire at a home at 402 Stone Mountain Road. Beaver Dam Fire, Cove Creek Fire, Fall Creek Fire, the Watauga Fire Marshal’s Office, Watauga Medics, Watauga Rescue and the Watuaga County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene.

A woman was pronounced dead at the scene, Marsh said. She was the only person in the home at the time of the fire. Release of the woman’s name is pending autopsy results and family notification, according to Marsh.

Marsh said the fire was extinguished within approximately five minutes. The home sustained moderate fire and smoke damage in the living room area as well as smoke damage throughout the rest of the home.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.