Watauga County Fire Marshal/Emergency Management logo

Watauga County Fire Marshal/Emergency Management

VILAS — No injuries were reported after an accidental fire that was caused while cooking on March 15 at a home in Vilas.

Assistant Watauga County Fire Marshal Jay Kerley said responders received the call of a fire at a doublewide home at 9:25 p.m. at 5143 U.S. 421 North. The first fire department on scene arrived seven minutes later, according to Kerley.

Cove Creek Fire, Boone Fire, Watauga Medics, Watauga Rescue and Watauga Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene. The fire was controlled at 9:50 p.m.; all units cleared the scene at 11:47 p.m.

Kerley was unsure of how many people were inside the home at the time, but said everyone was able to exit the building without injury. The home sustained fire damage in the kitchen and smoke or heat damage throughout other parts of the house.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.