DEEP GAP — A 67-year-old man died at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem on Aug. 14 after he was in an airplane that crashed in Deep Gap.

Danny Dunn, of 3935 Hardin Road, was the pilot of the aircraft and the only one in the plane, according to Watauga County Sheriff’s Office Major Kelly Redmon. Dunn was conscious and alert when he was airlifted to Wake Forest Baptist, but did have life-threatening injuries at the time. A Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center spokesperson confirmed the death of Dunn at 9:30 p.m.

Deep Gap Volunteer Fire, Watauga Rescue Squad, Watauga Medics, Watauga County Emergency Management, State Highway Patrol and the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office responded to the 8:57 a.m. 911 call in the 3900 block of Hardin Road, according to Redmon.

Redmon said witnesses stated that the aircraft had taken off from a private airstrip located at Dunn’s address — approximately 100 yards from the crash — about 20 minutes prior to the crash. Witnesses also reported that the plane had circled several times then crashed, Redmon said. The plane caught fire upon impact. According to the Federal Aviation Administration, the plane had crashed into some trees.

According to the FAA’s registry, Dunn had two individual planes registered in Watauga County — a 1973 Aero Commander and a 2005 Allegro 2000. Both aircrafts are fixed-wing single-engine vehicles. It was the Allegro 2000 aircraft that was involved in the crash, according to National Transportation Safety Board spokesperson Peter Knudson.

Dunn was also the former owner of the Wilkesboro Dragway, according to media reports.

Dunn had crawled free from the wreckage and was located some distance away in a steep area, according to Redmon. He was transported to a makeshift landing zone in Wilkes County to be flown to Wake Forest Baptist, where he later died.

The N.C. State Highway Patrol had secured the scene and the FAA had arrived on scene around 1:30 p.m. that day to assist in the investigation.

“Everybody on the scene did a great job. The cooperation between agencies was phenomenal,” Redmon said. “I think the people of Watauga County would be proud of how quick the response was.”

Knudson said that the FAA is a participate in investigations, but it will be the NTSB conducting the analysis. As of Aug. 15, the cause of the crash was unknown. He added that the NTSB typically tries to produce a preliminary report within two weeks of the date of the accident. However, it would be one to two years before the investigation would be completed for a final cause to be determined.

Anna Oakes contributed reporting to this story.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.