BLOWING ROCK — The town of Blowing Rock can add one more accolade to its growing portfolio as Business Insider has named it the best small town in North Carolina, according to a Dec. 27 article.
“Blowing Rock, North Carolina, truly has something for everyone,” the article states. “From fly fishing and rafting to bouldering and rock climbing, Blowing Rock has every outdoor activity you can imagine. But the town’s real charm is its downtown, where you can find over 100 small shops and restaurants. With sweeping mountain views, this small town seems to be right out of a storybook.”
“All across America, small towns are becoming art havens, fine dining meccas, and top travel destinations,” the article stated. “Researchers even found that people living in small towns are happier than those who live in more urban environments.”
The award is one of several the town has received from various publications in recent years.
In April 2018, Southern Living magazine named Blowing Rock as one of “The South’s Best Small Towns In Every State 2018.”
“This cool mountain town is named for the famous Blowing Rock, where you can drop a handkerchief and it will either float away or blow right back to you because of an unusual air current,” Southern Living said of Blowing Rock.
May 2018 saw Blowing Rock was named one of the 10 best Small Southern Towns in a USA TODAY reader poll for the second straight year.
Of Blowing Rock, USA TODAY said, “Those looking for a mountain escape have been coming to Blowing Rock since the 1880s. Today, this North Carolina village sits directly on the Blue Ridge Parkway and serves as a gateway to adjacent Pisgah National Forest.”
Here’s a short list (compiled from a much longer list) of recent awards and honors Blowing Rock has received from folks who don’t even live here. Blowing Rock was named:
- North Carolina’s Prettiest Small Town by a panel of Southeastern travel journalists, beating out places such as South Port and Southern Pines.
- One of America’s Prettiest Winter Towns by Travel+Leisure magazine.
- Favorite Mountain Destination by Our State magazine.
- Best Mountain Town by Blue Ridge Country magazine.
- Best Day Trip by The Winston-Salem Journal.
- Platinum award for Art in the Park/Best Arts/crafts Show, Gold award for Best Main Street and Silver awards for Best Arts Town and Best Shopping in the 2013 Blue Ridge Country’s “Best of the Mountains” readers poll. Winners were selected from candidates in Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama.
- A 2013 “Great Places in North Carolina” Award from the North Carolina Chapter of the American Planning Association for Blowing Rock’s Main Street area.