Deep Gap home
damaged by blaze
By Melanie Davis
Fire damaged a home located at 369 Arnold Watson Road in Deep Gap last Wednesday.
The call came in at approximately 4 p.m. from a neighbor who noticed smoke coming from the home. Upon arrival, Deep Gap Volunteer Fire Department members found heavy smoke, but no visible flames. They entered the home and began a search. Flames were located in the kitchen area, with the living area filled with heavy smoke.
The fire was contained to the kitchen and extinguished shortly after firefighters arrived. Firefighters were able to salvage a majority of clothing and items belonging to the renter, Judith Cross.
During the initial search, firefighters found three dogs and one cat that had perished as a result of smoke inhalation.
Following the suppression of the fire, firefighters continued to search the residence.
A fourth dog was found alive in the bedroom of the home. Firefighters administered oxygen to the animal and returned the dog in good condition to Cross.
The home is owned by Linda Holeman of Deep Gap.
The Watauga County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause of the fire to be the stove. Fire marshal technicians suspect the stove was left on with a combustible material sitting on top.
The material caught fire due to heat and the flames spread up the wall behind the stove.
Stewart Simmons Volunteer Fire Department also responded to assist Deep Gap firefighters.